May 05, 2010

In the Sweet By And By



June R. Phillips 1924 - 2010

Lost my mom last Thursday, April 29th. It's doubly tough right on the heels of the death of my mother-in-law a few weeks earlier. There's no way to sum up all my mom and my dad have done for me over the years; but, because of them, I grew up surrounded by music and had the freedom and trust early on to explore so many things. They introduced me to New Orleans when I was a kid, little knowing what a profound effect it would have on me over the years. As hard as it was for all of us sometimes, they simply allowed me to be who I am and go for what I wanted and needed, having faith that I would do the right thing (eventually). What a profound gift that continues to be, and what an example to live up to. I certainly agree with many other people who have told me that my mom was a saint, even though it still hasn't completely dawned on me what that really means. Hope to figure it all out in the fullness of time.

I chanced upon this video of the late Juanita Brooks, who passed away earlier this year, and some great New Orleans players, doing a fine rendition of this old spiritual. It seems perfectly apt, as the sweet by and by is where my mom deserves to be, enjoying rolling good times forevermore.
- Peace




Note: Thanks to everyone who sent condolences to me on the loss of my mom and mother-in-law, whether in the comments here or by email, and to those who kept me and my family in your thoughts, or simply sent some positive vibes our way. It really meant and means a lot.

16 Comments:

Blogger RecordCollector said...

Dear Dan,

As a fanatic visitor of your blog, I was deeply saddened to hear about the death of your mom. I can believe how hard this must be for you losing her. You are in my thought and prayers. Someone, you gave you the love for New Orleans, gave you the chance to get who you are now.

May God bless you and your family during this time and always,

Albert

2:02 AM, May 06, 2010  
Blogger Jipes Blues said...

Dan my thoughts are with you, I lost my father two years ago and my mother more than 10 years ago now but it still hurts. May you find peace and harmony with the memories of your Mam

4:05 AM, May 06, 2010  
Anonymous Doug Schulkind/Give the Drummer Some (WFMU) said...

My deepest condolences, Dan. We are all the beneficiaries of your mom's raising a thoughtful, generous son with exquisite taste. Best wishes to you.

8:37 AM, May 06, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you. God bless! W.

3:08 PM, May 06, 2010  
Anonymous Noel said...

Dan, I read your blog often and am deeply sorry about your loss. I am the father of two little boys and I hope someday they'll be able to remember me as fondly as you do your mother. What a wonderful lady she sounds like.

I was just at Jazz Fest and imagined you there having a blast. I am so sorry that happy time was colored by your mother's passing. I wish your family peace.

Noel

8:46 PM, May 06, 2010  
Anonymous Eugenie said...

God bless. She raised a good one, thank you for all you do.

9:07 PM, May 06, 2010  
Blogger ana-b said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss...my thoughts are with you and your family.

ana....

12:40 PM, May 07, 2010  
Blogger dannye said...

Dan, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm also sorry I never got to meet your mom. You'd have thought that would have happened at one point or another, eh? Take care and tell your dad that I wish him well.

7:39 PM, May 08, 2010  
Blogger Red Kelly said...

Brother Dan -

My heart goes out to you and your family. May she Rest In Peace.

6:58 AM, May 10, 2010  
Blogger pujwa said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad on April 21st. He introduced me to Johnny Cash. Lena Horne, The Flamingos and a host of other greats. I know this is difficult for you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

9:02 AM, May 11, 2010  
Anonymous Johnny Pierre said...

Sorry for your loss. The things that are in the blood are the hardest to forget.

12:45 PM, May 11, 2010  
Blogger Lily Kane said...

I'm so so sorry to hear this. you'll be in my thoughts too.

11:52 PM, May 11, 2010  
Blogger Bill said...

I lost my Mum and Dad within a month of each other so I can understand how you are feeling. My sincere condolences and I can only say things get better with time.

6:01 AM, May 13, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless Your Mam

7:40 PM, May 14, 2010  
Blogger Dan Phillips said...

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

3:09 PM, May 21, 2010  
Blogger Funky16Corners said...

Dan
This is the first time I've been by in a while. Very sad to hear about the passing of your Mom.
My condolences to you and yours.
Larry

8:14 PM, May 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home