November 22, 2004

Part 3: Floatin' The Boat

"Gravy Boat"
Jerkuleez, from Jerkuleez, broke-dick records, 2002


Empty

And here’s the closer for our three-pack of instrumentals. It’s another Meters-inspired piece by Jerkuleez, a side-project band of Austin, TX musicians. One of them, guitarist Malcolm Welbourne, aka Papa Mali, was raised up (as we say in the Deep South) in Shreveport, LA and spent plenty of time hanging out in New Orleans over the years before relocating to Austin. He has one CD out as Papa Mali, the seriously funk infested and humidly atmospheric Thunder Chicken that came out of Fog City Records a few years ago. And I just heard from him that he is in New Orleans working on his next CD. As I am not an expert on the Austin music scene, I don’t know much about the other players on Jerkuleez: Bruce Hughes, bass; Jud Newcomb, guitar; Dave Robinson, drums; and Corey Mauser, keyboards. But, from the sound of this CD, they can channel the Home of the Groove vibe under the proper circumstances.

“Gravy Boat” lays down a tasty sheen of grease with some loosey-goosey drumming that allows the cohorts to take a syncopated ride on the slip ‘n slide. I like the way the tune is structured kind of like a round that keeps turning back on itself, wrapping you up in the groove. Well done, fellas.

I don’t think you can buy this CD anymore; but if you want to inquire, let me know. I’ll get you connected with Malcolm. I want to thank him for giving it to me back around ’02 to play on my show and for allowing me to share it with you now. I’ll favor you with some Papa Mali later, too, no doubt. Until then, enjoy your gravy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Phillips said...

You're welcome. Thanks for the info. I'll have to find out from Mali when they might release that next CD. Maybe they could send a cut our way.

2:37 PM, November 22, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home