January 18, 2006

Toussaint In The News, On The Air

Mr. Toussaint continues to get good, well-deserved press and segments on NPR and American Routes. If you have not already seen it, the Times-Picayune has a great article on his collaboration on Elvis Costello's new album in progress, which will feature mostly Toussaint tunes hand-picked by Costello for quality and relative obscurity (to those who don't partake of HOTG, anyway). You can read about it here.

Even though the only New Orleans players on it will be Toussaint and a great horn line-up, I can't wait to hear that project, as Costello wants to keep the arrangements of the covers close to the originals.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this is exciting news. Any idea on a release date? I didn't see one in the article, but I just skimmed over it.

10:26 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Dan Phillips said...

I think I read it was to have a May release. Wonder if they'll tour together?

11:01 PM, January 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thought of such makes me giddy like a school girl.

8:57 AM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger dcisok said...

Dan,

I thought I'd posted this but I'll try again--

Toussaint was discussed fairly prominently in Terry Gross/Fresh Air's show from Tuesday, I think, when her guest for the hour was Joe Henry. (Should be avail for streaming for another 5 days or so). As you know, Henry brought Costello and Toussaint together for the project (he produced), even though they were previously acquainted.

Henry talked about working with and producing Toussaint on the I BELIEVE TO MY SOUL cd, featuring a number of soul legends, including Allen, Billy Preston, Mavis Staples and Ann Peebles. It's excellent!

Anyway, thanks as always, for the great "digs" and bkgrnd. You're a treasure!

dc

10:49 PM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Dan Phillips said...

I'll have to go listen to that Joe Henry interview, fersuwa. Thanks for the heads up. I bought that 'I Believe to My Soul' CD, and should have mentioned it. It IS excellent. My wife appropriated it immediately. She does have golden ears!

11:02 PM, January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home