October 01, 2005

More useable news. . .

Benefits for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita – let’s just call them Katrita – relief and for New Orleans musicians’ assistance continue around the country, some featuring NOLA musicians, visual artists and the like. I’ll just a list a couple that have been sent to me:

October 20, 21, 22, 23, 2005
Katrina Benefit Series featuring Eddie Bo and band, plus special
guests, such as Mickey Champion, at
Little Pedro’s
901 E. 1st St. (at Vignes)
Los Angeles, CA 90012
213-687-3766

RISE
A Benefit For Musicians Displaced By Hurricane Katrina
featuring The Sadies, The Hidden Cameras, The Deadly Snakes
With DJ Will Munro & Surprise Guests
At The Silver Dollar, 486 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, Canada
Saturday, October 8, 2005

Go to the
Tipitina’s Foundation for more listings, or you can do a search. If there is something in your area, or just some New Orleans band with a gig nearby, I encourage you to go, have fun and support those cats and causes. You know how bad the first storm was. Well, the second was very destructive from the central Louisiana coast region West into Texas. That has received much less press, probably due to the fortunate very low loss of life and to disaster burnout by the media. But many more are now homeless and jobless. It seems the official response above the local level is still cumbersome and clueless. It’s a bad scene, people.

Thanks to HOTG reader/listener and Eddie Bo fan Alexis Rivera of Little Pedro’s for getting that benefit together and letting me know about it. Wish I could be there, but jet-setting is not in the budget at present. And thanks to the
Deadly Snakes for sending me the Rise benefit notice
and organizing the event.

**********************
waxpoetics magazine has feature articles on the Meters and some other fine artists like Sharon Jones in their latest issue, which I need to see if I can find this weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you rode out the storm. I was thinking of you when I was watching the red, red, red radar in your area.

8:42 PM, October 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home