January 16, 2007

A few things in between. . . .

More Booker - video and audio at Aquarium Drunkard. Truly one of a kind that one. For those of you who are always asking for more. Listen up, there still may be a test. . . .

Who Dat? Indeed - I was in New Orleans over the weekend, though not for the Saints game, sort of in spite of it, as we came over to see Olu Dara at Tipitina's Saturday night. The opening act, Alex McMurray, said it in one of his numbers, "You've gotta be crazy to live in this town." And the city was sure crazy with Saints delerium, which will hopefully continue on to to da Superbowl with inspired insanity that'll make the upcomming Mardi Gras seem like a church social, if they win - maybe even if they don't. That night the game was on tv where we ate. Walking back to where we stayed, you could tell who was ahead by the type of shouts that issued forth from every bar and open window (it was short sleeve weather!). When we got back, we watched some more, until catching a cab (didn't want to lose that preccious parking spot in the Marigny), which, natch, had da game on the radio, out to Tip's where, Natch'ez, we finished watching the home team outlast Philadelphia [I said Seattle first? Must have been Freudian.] to general applause and cheers from the few people there that early (mostly staff), and waited for Mr. Dara's Neighborhoods. Nice to see him again - but not much change in his material over the past few years that we've gotten to catch his act. But Olu and band on an average night can still put you in a juicy-lipped trance.

Heartfelt Condolences - To brother Aaron Neville on the recent passing of his wife, Joel Roux, and to sons Ivan, Aaron, Jr., and Jason, daughter Ernestine, and their entire extended family.

Stay tuned. . . .

5 Comments:

Blogger whiteray said...

This is a great blog, and I stop by almost every day. But I feel I should point out that the Saints beat Philly. Seattle lost to the Bears the next day.

11:41 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Dan Phillips said...

And I'm glad you stopped by for a fact check, whiteray. Amazing waht a little sleep deprivation can do. I'm changing the copy before I am deluged.

7:00 AM, January 17, 2007  
Blogger ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
NFL[?] is one of those games that I struggle to comprehend. Rugby League now there's a game!.
I wonder what David Beckham would look like with a lid on?

10:18 AM, January 17, 2007  
Blogger Nevilletracks Blog said...

Hey, Dan. HOTG is still one of my favorite sites to visit on the web! Thanks again for all the effort that you continually invest in it!

FYI, Rhys McClure, a family friend of the Nevilles, designed a website as a tribute to Joel at www.joelneville.com

Of course (and my apologies for the shameless self-promotion) I added a simple tribute to her on the homepage of my Nevilletracks.com web site as well.

I never had the honor of meeting her; but, based on everything I've heard, I have a feeling that she was a truly remarkable woman.

Jon Tyler

3:33 PM, January 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad that The Saints didn't make it . French Tv gave the Colts game instead of Chiago/ new Orleans what a pity :o(

Anyway it was a great year for the Saints let's pray that the next season will make them going one step further !

6:54 AM, January 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home